A valued pianist, James Weidman has been a sideman and accompanist in many settings over the past 30 years, from Abbey Lincoln, Cassandra Wilson, Steve Coleman to Kevin Mahogany and the Grammy nominated Joe Lovano Us Five. His latest recordings as a leader include Truth and Actuality and October.
Feeling on Inner Circle Music. Weidman's music fits into the modern mainstream of jazz without being predictable. With original chord changes and voicings, his mastery is demonstrated with various changes in rhythm and time. Weidman is on the faculty of William Paterson University.
The Spirituals is a genre of music created in the 19th century by the Black people trapped into a forced labor system during the turbulent period that ultimately led to war and liberation. This poignant music was both an expression of devotion to their God and an expressed longing for freedom from the state of bondage.
The music as conceived by James Weidman is re-interpretations and sonic re-imaginings of these historic songs. Besides piano, James plays melodica on "No Hiding Place" and organ on "Wade in the Water." All the tunes on Spiritual Impressions, are arrangements of the spirituals except for "African Spirals" that is a homage to the ancestral continent and the ancestors of the people brought here in the middle passage. The spiritual, "Walk Together, Children" the last track on the album is a solo piano piece performed by Weidman.
Ruth Naomi Floyd is the vocalist. Weidman has had a long association with Floyd as producer and arranger on three of her critically acclaimed recordings. Multi-reed instrumentalist, Anthony Nelson plays tenor, soprano saxophones, bass clarinet and flute, Harvie S plays acoustic bass and electric bass, and Vince Ector plays drums, djembe, sangba for an indelible experience and journey of the collective spirit.
Ruth Naomi Floyd, voice
Anthony Nelson, tenor, soprano saxophones, bass clarinet and flute
Harvie S, acoustic and electric bass
Vince Ector, drums, djembe, sangba
1. Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel 6:06 arranged by James Weidman
2. Deep River 7:19 arranged by James Weidman
3. No Hiding Place 4:34 arranged by James Weidman; Ruth Naomi Floyd Sesac Naru Music
4. Prelude To Freedom Troubled Waters 1:23 composed by James Weidman
5. Wade In The Water 5:41 arranged by James Weidman
6. 6 Nobody Knows The Trouble I See 5:12 arranged by Aaron Graves Imani's Faith Publishing BMI
7. Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho 6:21 arranged by James Weidman
8. You Hear The Lamb A Cryin 7:19 arranged by James Weidman
9. African Spirals 6:36 composed by James Weidman
10. Let My People Go 5:36 arranged by James Weidman
11. Walk Together Children 4:35 arranged by James Weidman